Thursday, July 22, 2010

Tool # 11 Digital Citizenship

When discussing digital citizenship in prek I would explain to them that there are safety rules when we using tehcnology the same as we have safety rules in the classroom,home, playground etc.... One thing I would like to make sure my prek children know is that they need to have a balance. I would suggest to them to set up a timer for 30 minutes so that they control how much time they spend on the internet. It's important that they know that they need to participate in a variety of activities, even when at home, and that spending too much time in the computer is not good for them. Another rule I would like to remind my students about is that when they are at home sometimes other windows open (popups) and these sometimes ask for personal info, such as adress etc... They should know not to share their info with anyone in the internet. Also, don't believe everything you see online, sometimes is best to ask your parents if unsure about something you found. If for any reason there's something you feel may not be ok for you to watch, look for an adult and ask for help.
Usually,in school, digital citizenship is well supervised by teachers/aides, specially in pre k. Eventhough we will have digital citizenship rules in the classroom, I will also like to teach them the above rules for when they are away from school.

I also found some good tips for digital citizenship in this website :
http://www.commonsensemedia.org/Internet-Safety-Elementary-School-Kids-Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment